Written by Registered Nutritionist, Rhiannon Lambert http://rhitrition.com/ .
So, like Julianne the founder of Creative Nature Super foods you have a nut allergy or you’re intolerant to nuts. Fret not, here’s my top 5 tips to make it all seem better.
- Baking: Most healthy recipe alternatives are now using ground almonds to replace flour in cakes, energy ball and bars. There are SO many other options, which are also packed full of nutrition. Creative Nature Superfoods has nut-free, allergen-free baking mixes that don’t trigger alarm. Plus, they are incredibly delicious!
Try Quinoa or Coconut Flour for cakes or GF Oats blended to create a texture similar to ground almonds.
- Healthy Fats: Yes, nuts are full of healthy fats, the vegetarian variety of omega-3, Alpha-Linoleic Acid (AA) but so are other items of foods! Stock up on avocado, seeds, olives and get some edamame beans in your diet.
- Protein: People always hail nuts as the perfect protein rich snack, whilst it’s true they do contain protein the ratio of fat to protein isn’t as wonderful as you may think. For example;
- Almonds – 15% carbs, 13% protein, 72% fat
- Cashews – 22% carbs, 11.5% protein, 66.5% fat
- Peanut Butter – 13% carbs, 17% protein, 70% fat
- Snacks: Steering clear of processed and packed items is a GOOD thing, if you have a nut allergy chances are you are consuming less packaged bars and sugar laden items. Snacking on the right things is very important to keep your blood sugar levels balanced and avoid energy crashing! Stick to hummus and veg, yoghurts, eggs and a piece of fruit. Another great option is superfood bars that will keep your blood sugar levels balanced.
- Fresh Food: At a restaurant if you state you have an allergy you will often get that extra special bit of treatment, your food will be prepared from scratch with that extra bit of care and attention to detail ;-). Whilst all restaurants should deliver food in this way the reality is far from the truth, it is your right to order what you like and most good chefs can replace desserts or mains with nuts with other items! I best it tastes better too!
Creative Nature Superfoods is committed to providing allergen-free, nut-free products that you will love! Browse our site to see more of the delicious food we offer.