It’s Allergy Awareness Week. Here are our top 5 allergen friendly products and more.
There are actually several Allergy Awareness weeks, both in the UK and the USA, around various organisations which operate in the so-called ‘allergy space’.
Allergy Awareness Week is from 26th to the 30th of April for Allergy UK and the theme this year is childhood food allergy, with a specific focus on the weaning journey for parents of babies with food allergies.
Life with a young baby is not all sunshine and roses. While there are so many wonderful aspects of seeing your child develop and grow, there are also many stresses around sleep, feeding, changing, going out and just adjusting to have a new baby in your home.
Allergy UK have already developed a pack to support parents on how to deal with food allergic children; de-myth conflicting advice; explain national guidelines and provide practical support to get through the weaning experience safely and confidently. You can find it here.
How many children have allergies in the UK:
- Allergies are the most common chronic disease in Europe. More than 150 million Europeans suffer from chronic allergic diseases.
- It is a common ailment, affecting more than 20% of the populations of most developed countries.
- The UK has some of the highest prevalence rates of allergic conditions in the world, with over 20% of the population affected by one or more allergy.
- 44% of British adults suffer from at least one allergy, and the number of sufferers is on the rise.
- The percentage of children diagnosed with allergic rhinitis and eczema have both trebled over the last 30 years.
- Food allergies are a cause of concern in young children, where the incidence of food allergies are estimated to be greater in toddlers (5 – 8%) than in adults (1- 2%).
- Food allergies affect 3 – 6% of children in the developed world. In the UK, it is estimated that the prevalence for food allergies is 7.1% in breast-fed infants, with 1 in 40 developing a peanut allergy and 1 in 20 developing egg allergies.
Top 5 Free From Products:
All of our products are safe for those who suffer from any of the top 14 food allergens. This means our products are dairy free, nut free, gluten free, soya free, egg free and more with no may contains.
While our products are not designed for babies or for the weaning period, we do offer delicious products for children as they grow. Our Fruit Oatie Snack Bars and Gnawbles make some delicious school safe snacks. With that in mind, our five best sellers are: