This versatile cornbread is great for all occasions and provides the perfect base for your creative side. As a sweet, you can add maple syrup, muscovado sugar, cinnamon or more. As a savoury you can add jalapeños, sweetcorn, tomatoes or spread maple butter on top!
INGREDIENTS: UK Yellow Cornmeal, Flour Blend (Brown Rice, White Rice, Maize Starch, Tapioca Starch, Maize), Raw Cane Sugar, Baking Powder (Mono Calcium Phosphate, Corn Starch, Raising Agent: Sodium Bicarbonates), Crystal Salt.
||Per 45g serving, as prepared to the standard recipe
|Energy/Energie/Valor Energético (kcal)
|Energy/Energie/ Valor Energético (kJ)
|Carbs/Kohlenhydrate/Hidratos de Carbono (g)
|Fibre/Ballaststof/Fibra alimentaria (g)
• 50ml Vegetable Oil
• 200ml Plant Milk
• 80g Apple Sauce
• 2 Large Eggs
• 200ml Milk
HOW TO MAKE
• Grease a 1lb loaf tin or 20cm cake tin with Butter/Oil and leave a teaspoon more in the bottom of the tin for good measure! Turn the oven to 200c and pop the tin in to get good and toasty.
• Pour this packet into your favourite mixing bowl and give it a quick whisk to remove any annoying lumps.
• Make a little well in the middle, then carefully add the rest of the ingredients. Give it all a good stir, but don’t over mix, or it will be a tad dense!
• Using oven gloves, take the tin out of the oven and lovingly spoon the mixture in.
• Pop the tin back in the oven and let it cook for around 25 minutes, until golden on top.
• Using your oven gloves again, remove the piping hot tin and leave to cool slightly.
OUR EXPERT ADVICE:
• Heating the tin before adding the batter gives you a crispy bottom, if you prefer it less crispy, then skip that bit!
• For a fluffier bread, use buttermilk instead of milk or add 2 tablespoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to you milk for a homemade buttermilk!
• Got a sweet tooth? Add 2 tablespoons maple syrup to sweeten the deal, or spread some maple butter on top when it’s still piping hot from the oven!